Crème Brûlée French Toast
With a crispy, caramelized sugar topping, these fluffy French toast slices are inspired by crème brûlée. Since they’re baked in the oven, it’s easy to make large quantities for a decadent family breakfast or hosting brunch.
- 8 Brioche slices, halved into triangles
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- whipped cream and fresh fruit, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk in the half-and-half or heavy cream. Dip each brioche triangle into the egg mixture, letting it soak about 5 seconds per side. Place the triangles on the prepared baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the triangles are a pale golden brown.
3. Brush the French toast with melted butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit.